Your Ad Here

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Please tell me there's gays here... REPOST

[Editor's note: Two years ago this week, this humble blog of mine was released to the world. After years of not really noticing Napa's LGBT community, and not really knowing I could have desperately used a queer, local role model; after only a handful of years of me finally accepting that I wasn't straight and beginning a new path towards self-acceptance; after deciding there must be some way to find out what's going on and share it with us; after writing my very first post, I published this, on Sunday, April 6, 2008:]



Firstly, welcome!

If you're reading this then (thank God!) you must be one of Napa's gay or gay-friendly (not to be exclusive, the lesbians, bi's and transexuals are all welcome).

Here's the deal: I've grown up in Napa for most of my (gay, yet previously closeted) life. I went to school here, then commuted to college and now I continue to work and live here. For better or for worse, I call Napa my home. Classmates and friends have come and gone (and some come back a second time around), but I've pretty much been here the whole time. Three years ago I took the leap and began coming out to close friends and family, and now I'm looking to get more connected with a newer, queerer part of my community.

It's not easy, though. Napa's got a whole lot more wine than diversity. I definitely have my work cut out for me.

My straight friends (we're mostly in our mid to late 20s) complain that there's nothing cool to do here...and admittedly, there isn't much. Unless you like tours or expensive food. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of both (especially if they both involve alcohol) but I'm looking for places where the gays and gay friendly are! There's a huge arts community, so there have to be tons of us mixed in there...

As I search around the valley, I'll be checking out the cafés, the shops, the bars, restaurants, nightlife, events, activities, clubs and more. Got a tip for me? The comment box is always open: gaynapa@gmail.com (If you're worried: even if your email comes all pretty in pink, I'll be discrete with your identity).

I'm gonna need all the help I can get. Even outtraveler.com's coverage of the valley is five years old and limited to Calistoga's mud baths, a few B&B's and some restaurants. (Okay, they do mention Napa's Opera House, but that's definitely more gray than gay.)

As good as I am at it, I can't just bitch about there being nothing to do. I should do something about it. This blog is my attempt at finding Napa Valley's other fruit (pun very much intended). In the mean time, I look forward to seeing you out and about. You know, give me the secret hand-signal...and be sure to post comments on the blog!

[For those looking for more information about who I am and what this blog evolved into, check out, "Hey, nice RAQ", and add to our comments section on any post. Also, join us for tonight's blogoversary celebration in Napa, Thursday, April 8, 2010!]

3 comments:

  1. Wish we could make it!! ( no babysitter and baseball practice) happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad you are doing this for the community. People get to hang out every week and get to know one another. Keep it going. Ill be there at the party Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your posts all the way from Healdsburg, where apparently I'm the only gay person.

    ReplyDelete