Your Ad Here

Monday, April 28, 2008

Hey, nice RAQ!

In answer to some Recently Asked Questions which have come in via comments and emails, I've decided to repost my reply here to share with you all:
Who am I?
I am a gay man living in Napa. I grew up here and have first hand experience of what it is like to be gay in Napa. (Especially on the day-to-day, not just the tourist, "drop in for a mud-bath and wine tasting" kind of experience. Although I'm always down for a mud-bath and wine tasting if someone would like to treat.)

Why should you be interested?
Well, if you're queer of any sort and live in or are Hopefully, we're also entertaining enough to keep you interested without getting too ridiculous.from the Napa area, you know that there isn't hardly anything going on around here that is publicized "for the gays" and that Napa's gay community is very hidden if not invisible. While I know that there is a wide spectrum of people that make up our queer residents, for the most part people aren't very open about it or "out" here. This blog is my attempt to help us to connect to each other and to what's going on here in the Valley and nearby. We also include our straight allies in our audience with the hope of gaining more support and understanding. Hopefully, we're also entertaining enough to keep you interested without getting too ridiculous.

Why haven't I identified myself?
I write anonymously because I want this site to be about the community and connection and not myself personally or so much as an individual. I do share about myself and experiences, however. Currently, this blog is authored only by me, with input from gay and straight friends and anyone who emails me through our "tipline" (which is just an email and myspace inbox I've set up for this purpose). I do have other LGBT folks who have given me their input and experience with places and topics, and am currently talking to them and others about co- or guest- authoring on the blog. I write in the "we" because my inspirations for posts come from multiple other people and I also want this site to offer the feel of a community (we're not alone, etc.) . Plus, when I do add other writers to the ranks, it's much easier to write "we" now, then to have to go back and edit later. :)

Why don't I know what's happening in the gay community?
Well, Napa does not have much going on in/for the gay community, that I can tell (and I've lived here 24 years). If you're from here, I think you'll know what I'm talking about. If not, ask around to any gays you know that are from here.

Whether or not you are from or have lived in Napa, I hope you can share in appreciation for the goal of this site, which is "finding (and connecting with) our community within our community."

As always, your comments, suggestions and ideas are welcome. Keep on reading, commenting and helping to spread the word!

2 comments:

  1. I have explored and enjoyed your site. Look forward to reading more. I've added it to my blogroll. Napa was fun to visit with straight friends but I doubt that my partner and I will visit on our own. We perfer to travel to places that are less closted and more open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's unfortunate about how closeted Napa is and how invisible the gay community is here. There is hope, however. Not sure if you caught a more recent post of ours, but there will be a huge gay softball tournament here and even some places are advertising wine tastings, tours, etc. for the gays. Now we just gotta work on things for the locals.

    I'm glad you like the site, yours, too is fun to browse and read. Thanks for the link! Please share our site with anyone else you think would be interested, especially any locals. ;)

    ReplyDelete