Your Ad Here

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Music moment: preacher's daughter gone bi-curious?



So, I'm pretty sure that most readers of The Fruit would be familiar with lipstick lovely Katy Perry's hit single, I Kissed a Girl, where she sings to a catchy pop beat about her experimenting with lesbian lovin' (if you count a kiss as "lovin"). Also, I'd love to know what the lesbians think of her and her song.

It being a fairly bubble-gum pop hit, you might not know this counter-intuitive tidbit: Katy was born and raised in Santa Barbara, CA by two Christian Ministers. She was not allowed to listen to secular music growing up and in 2001 released a Christian music album.

What surprised me even more was that her other big single, released earlier, (that was bubbling up popular underground and didn't quite hit mainstream) was another queer diddy about suspecting her boyfriend is gay. And not only gay, but uber gay. Actually, it's title is Ur So Gay (the confusing thing is that she's playing up how her bf lives up to gay stereotypes, but really he seems more emo to me than gay):

Find her video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVUPqhooeNo

I wonder what her parents think?

From, I Kissed a Girl:
No, I don't even know your name
It doesn't matter
You're my experimental game
Just human nature
It's not what, good girls do
Not how they should behave
My head gets so confused
Hard to obey
From, Ur So Gay:
I hope you hang yourself with your H&M scarf
While jacking off listening to Mozart
You bitch and moan about LA
Wishing you were in the rain reading Hemingway
You don't eat meat
And drive electrical cars
You're so indie rock it's almost an art
You need SPF 45 just to stay alive

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a lesbian but I will say that given the cold treatment of my friend who went from strict lesbian to someone who currently dates men, by her lesbian friends, I'd said lesbians aren't fans are bicurious chicks and probably aren't fans of the song to say the least.

    ReplyDelete