Your Ad Here

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Powerful like silent high-schoolers



Ellen's brief and moving commentary (it's worth taking time to watch) on the killing of 8th grader Lawrence King in Oxnard, CA got me thinking about the Day of Silence coming on April 25th. For those who don't know:
The National Day of Silence brings attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. This year’s event will be held in memory of Lawrence King, a California 8th-grader who was shot and killed Feb. 12 by a classmate because of his sexual orientation and gender expression. Hundreds of thousands of students will come together on April 25 to encourage schools and classmates to address the problem of anti-LGBT behavior.
Students participate in the day of silence by doing just that: being silent all day long. This brings attention to the numbers of students who are forced to be silent about their sexual orientation due to harassment, bullying, etc. at school every day. Instead of speaking they hand out brief notes that explain why they aren't talking and their concern for those that withhold a part of themselves every day.

It took me until I was 27 to be able to start coming out to my closest friends and family. Partly due to my conservative family and struggle of reconciling my faith with my sexual orientation, partly due to my fear of "ruining my reputation" in the community, partly due to Napa's intolerance (have you seen the comments in the Register online lately?) and partly due to no visible gay community or gay role models right here in my home town.

I wish that as "grown-ups" we had organized days to participate in powerful events like the day of silence. In the mean time, I've figured out that my coming and being out (even on a daily basis) helps some to see past and take away predefined stereotypes and helps other gays--youth and adults--to see at least one more person in their community as someone like them.

Thank God that now Vintage, Napa, St. Helena & Tech high schools have a GSA to promote common understanding and tolerance. But that's just our high schools...

(Use the comments section and tell us:) What are you doing to make Napa a more open and accepting place?

Click for more info on the Gay Straight Alliance or Ellen's list of support info.

No comments:

Post a Comment