Your Ad Here

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Pierced Ears & Whole Foods Market

I remember back in the day (like back in the elementary & middle school day) when I had begun to hear about guys wearing earrings in their right ear and what that meant. I wasn't exactly sure what it was all about other than I knew I would never get my right ear pierced and didn't want to be gay. (I was obviously still in complete denial at the time.) The other boys in the class (and even sometimes the mean girls) did not talk highly of guys that supposedly had their right ears pierced and in fact, quite the opposite.

15+ years later, a lot more guys have their ears pierced and both of them, at that. I think that earrings are pretty much not related to sexual orientation anymore (who knows how much it really was back then, too). Now that I'm more out and have begun my search for a community within my community, that whole piercing thing would come in handy.

What got me thinking about this was my shopping on Monday night at Whole Foods. Stereotypes about the theater and disco aside, if you want to find gays out and about (and buying fresh, organic produce) then head to Whole Foods. As I was strolling the aisles trying to decide if I should spend an extra $3 a pound on green, seedless grapes or head to Trader Joe's, I at least got to enjoy the scenery. Now I don't have any stats or anything, but I'm willing to bet that--you know, with our higher disposable incomes, our attention to detail and love of all things quality and decadent--a higher percentage of gays shop at Whole Foods. But don't quote me on that. In fact, in the emails I get suggesting where my research should lead me next, only a few of you mentioned this grocery store.

That's where the pierced right ear would come in handy. I wouldn't have to guess at the sexual orientation of my fellow shoppers if it was worn proudly... I would know instantly (or at the turn of a head) about that sexy bro with his sesame crackers and bag of granola that seemed to glance, or that vato with the shaved head and carbonated water, or the two women with the organic pet food. I mean, I don't want to judge just from what's in their basket and how long they look at me, right?

Okay, fine. In actuality, I know there are more constructive ways of asserting our sexual orientation (like that old fashioned way of actually getting to know someone). We all know that the less-than-open-minded would use it against us or claim that we are trying to recruit, anyway. And I'm really not too fond of any form of gay "name tag". But, it is kinda cool shopping in places where I see more of my extended "family", a little more like home.

[And if any businesses are reading this: a welcomed and comfortable gay is a gay who spends more money.]

So, where are the best grocery stores in the Valley to find fellow gays shopping or working? Post some comments or email me at the tip-line.

4 comments:

  1. I don't live in Napa, I live in Fairfield. I have shopped around town but do most of my grocery shopping at Trader Joes. Every time I go I run into at least one Gay or Lesbian I know or is (because of their cute rainbow bracelet) homosexual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...a reader from Fairfield! Thanks for the tip on Trader Joe's. Ours here in Napa is right next to Whole Foods, so I try and swing by both of them on the same trip. If not for the produce specials, definitely to see what my other gays are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is a little late - but the gayest shopping in Solano County would have to be the Nugget in Vacaville (oh my G_d fantastic!) The only place around to get goat's milk soap.

    Here in Napa I like the Oxbow - Vallegra's (spelling) - and Whole Foods. The Oxbow on Tuesday nights - start with a coffee from Ritual (eye candy a bonus), get some fresh veg at the produce vendor (Andru), then some bread from Model, meaty goodness from Fatted Calf, topped off with $1 oysters and a glass or three of sparkling from Hog Island.

    Pernodboi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better late than never Pernodboi! Thanks for sharing...I hope our regular readers pick up this tip. If you ever have any others, PLEASE share. And remember feel free to use the tipline whenever you have the urge. I'm a big fan of guest writers, too...especially ones that have an inside scoop on something. :)

    Hope to hear from you more often!

    ReplyDelete