Your Ad Here

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Our mayor? Our city? Gay pride? Where's the celebration?

Just for kicks & giggles I plugged the word gay into the Napa Register's search box to see what would come up. At first, the only local articles that came up with the word 'gay' in it were about the Napa College's production of "La Cage aux Folles (the Birdcage)". Of course: I didn't find any recent local gay coverage of much of importance (although, don't get me wrong, I applaud NVC for the play and I don't blame the Register--this time--for lack of news to cover).

I then tried 'homosexual' and got an editorial...typical rambling rant on the Register's opinion page trying to get people all riled up about our society losing hometown values.

The further I dug in, I found a really interesting and promising article from back in 2002 about a group called the North Bay Unity League:The Unity League is a "membership organization whose mission is to enhance the sense of community for Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual and Trans-gendered (LGBT) citizens & their families, friends and allies through Social Networking, Community Service, Health & Education, and Social Justice." (from their website) In 2002, they got the Mayor and City to proclaim June as Gay Pride month. That was very surprising to me. Our mayor? Our city? Gay pride? How awesome is that! Our hometown, actually embracing something progressive and a group making something happen! Major props and respect go out to all involved in pulling that off...

To my (our?) dismay, Unity League's website has a stale copyright date of 2006 and hasn't been mentioned (that I could find) in the paper for quite some time. I think they are (were?) connected to Aids Walk Napa Valley and some other fund raisers, and several years back when I was (tempting) coming out for the first time, I do remember hearing about a Pride Week and Pride celebrations in town...

But nothing this year: No celebrations in the Napa Valley for Pride month? That's extremely disappointing, but I can't say unexpected.

If you know anything, please share:
  • Is anything going on in (or real close) by the Valley for Pride/June?
    (Santa Rosa is having Sonoma County Pride on Sun, Jun 15)
  • Is North Bay/Napa Unity League still meeting?
    (I hear they meet infrequently at a local hotel on Monday evenings)
  • What 's it like at a Unity League meeting? Who goes? Want to write up a "review"?

No comments:

Post a Comment