Your Ad Here

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Prop 8: we're probably "not just going to get over it"; Thousands protest; Etheridge, Hollywood and others respond



As thousands marched in San Francisco and across the State on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and throughout the weekend, more voices joined the chorus of outrage, pain and rejection.

Have you heard of any protests or gatherings in Napa or the North Bay? Should we all gather downtown? In San Fran?

I don't often read C.W. Nevius in the Chronicle, but found his recent commentary on Prop 8 resonant:

Now that the election is over, there's a refrain coming from those who supported Proposition 8, the constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage:

Well, they say, we're glad that's over. Now we can move on and get back to everyday life. Hope there are no hard feelings.

It's a lovely sentiment and an optimistic thought. There is just one problem. It isn't happening. "There ARE hard feelings," said Lisa Geduldig, a San Francisco resident. "If I voted against your social group having equal rights, you'd be sore too. You might be lovely people, but you voted in favor of discrimination."

This isn't like a disagreement between two co-workers about who should be president or a debate about whether city funds should be set aside for affordable-housing projects. This is a deep, visceral divide between two cultures. And, with more protests scheduled this weekend in San Francisco and in the state, it seems the anger and resentment will only increase. [SFGate]

And this is what Melissa Etheridge had to say about Prop 8 passing:
"Okay. So Prop 8 passed. Alright, I get it. 51% of you think that I am a second class citizen. Alright then. So my wife, uh I mean, roommate? Girlfriend? Special lady friend? You are gonna have to help me here because I am not sure what to call her now. Anyways, she and I are not allowed the same right under the state constitution as any other citizen. Okay, so I am taking that to mean I do not have to pay my state taxes because I am not a full citizen. I mean that would just be wrong, to make someone pay taxes and not give them the same rights, sounds sort of like that taxation without representation thing from the history books.

Okay, cool I don't mean to get too personal here but there is a lot I can do with the extra half a million dollars that I will be keeping instead of handing it over to the state of California. Oh, and I am sure Ellen will be a little excited to keep her bazillion bucks that she pays in taxes too. Wow, come to think of it, there are quite a few of us fortunate gay folks that will be having some extra cash this year.
What recession? We're gay!

Oh and too bad California, I know you were looking forward to the revenue from all of those extra marriages. I guess you will have to find some other way to get out of the budget trouble you are in.

When did it become okay to legislate morality? I try to envision someone reading that legislation "eliminates the right" and then clicking yes.
What goes through their mind? Was it the frightening commercial where the little girl comes home and says, "Hi mom, we learned about gays in class today" and then the mother gets that awful worried look and the scary music plays? Do they not know anyone who is gay? If they do, can they look them in the face and say "I believe you do not deserve the same rights as me"? Do they think that their children will never encounter a gay person? Do they think they will never have to explain the 20% of us who are gay and living and working side by side with all the citizens of California?

I got news for them, someday your child is going to come home and ask you what a gay person is. Gay people are born everyday. You will never legislate that away."
Video embedded from CBS5 showing thousands of people in the protest winding down Marktet Street through the Castro on Friday evening:

No comments:

Post a Comment