Your Ad Here

Sunday, October 26, 2008

¡No a la Proposición 8! Finally, advertising in Spanish

Coming home today from a visit to San José, I was flipping through my presets on the radio, and I paused on La Kalle, a spanish language/bilingual station that plays latin hip-hop, reggaeton and considers itself Tu ritmo latino (Your latin rhythm). I paused, not because Makano's hit, "Si tu supieras" was on, but because I heard a No on 8 ad, and in Spanish! It was an exciting moment. I have been thinking for a while now--worried is more accurate--that the No on 8 campaign had been really missing out on key segments of the population that will be critical to November 4th's vote.

The latino community is being blanketed hard through Yes on 8 advertising in Spanish and English, door to door visits by Mormon led groups and of course in the catholic churches. We have needed to get out correct information to them for a while now. What I really liked about the ad I heard is that it addressed (as does the one I embedded, below) things of particular concern to the Spanish speaking community: their family values and their religion. The twist is that the ads encourage the viewer to Vote No because of family--we shouldn't write into law discrimination against families, friends or loved ones...


<span style="font-style:italic;"><span style="font-weight:bold;">Spanish language No on 8 ad embedded on the site.</span></span>
Have you seen or heard any other good Spansish language ads (or otherwise)? Please share.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a link to the English version of the ad (for all us Spanish-challenged Ugly Betty fans.):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9HfNwMKZ0E

    ReplyDelete