Your Ad Here

Monday, September 15, 2008

Best-selling gospel singer, Ray Boltz comes out

Let's wish him well: another big-time Christian musician came out--something powerful and, I imagine, not easy to do with the circles he runs in. I can relate to much of what he says, myself not coming out until 3 years ago. Hopefully people just don't write him off as "another person ruined by the devil" or who knows what they'll think (maybe that's my own fears talking). My hope and wish is that when high profile Christians come out that it can be healing and something that bridges divides. If they loved him before, I hope it continues

Via the blogosphere:
“I’d denied it ever since I was a kid. I became a Christian, I thought that was the way to deal with this and I prayed hard and tried for 30-some years and then at the end, I was just going, ‘I’m still gay. I know I am.’ And I just got to the place where I couldn’t take it anymore … when I was going through all this darkness, I thought, ‘Just end this.’” Best-selling gospel singer Ray Boltz, coming out after 33 years of hetero marriage.
Boltz, with about 4.5 million LPs, cassettes and CDs sold, never made a splash outside of Christian circles but he never really tried. With a handful of RIAA Gold-certified albums, three Dove Awards from the Gospel Music Association (GMA) and a string of 12 No. 1 hits on Christian radio, Boltz is a household name in evangelical circles. “Thank You,” a sentimental song about a dream in which a Christian thanks the Sunday school teacher who led him to embrace Christ, is his signature song. It was the GMA song of the year in 1990 and has become a staple of Christian funerals. Other Boltz trademarks are “Watch the Lamb,” “The Anchor Holds” and “I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb.”
Boltz' ex-wife is supportive and has joined the gay religious advocacy group Soulforce.
Subscribe. [Joe.My.God]

No comments:

Post a Comment