Your Ad Here

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fading rainbows at Napa Billiards?

On one of my recent days of hanging out at Napa Billiards--the Napa Valley's only outwardly welcoming gay/straight/trans mixed pool hall--I noticed (in addition to the fresh scent of a recent fabuloso cleaning) that the inviting rainbow flag stickers were no longer in the front doors (or above the beer cooler). Remember, until the recent campaign by the Downtown Association, Napa Billiards was the only business (I knew of) in the Valley openly displaying the rainbow flag year round. Because it was the rainbows that brought Napa Billiards to my attention in the first place, I had to ask the owner what was going on and express my concern.

Seems like with the economy down as it is, less people are playing pool and drinking beer... and so they are trying to emphasize that Napa Billiards is for everyone, in addition to their continued support of Napa's queer and queer-friendly:
"We took down the flags because people think this is a gay-exclusive place. But, in reality, this is a place for anyone to come. We respect everyone. And, I continue to support the gay community because I am gay, too."

"Quitamos las banderas porque la gente piensa que este es un lugar solamente para gays. Pero, en realidad, es un lugar que todo el mundo puede entrar. Y respetamos todo el mundo. No importa su sexo, raza, orientacion sexual, religion, etc. Y, sigo apoyando a los gays porque soy gay."
I continued discussing perhaps other ways that they could show their openness to the full community while still keeping up the rainbow flags that I was so excited to notice in the beginning. In a fairly conservative town like Napa, it takes guts to risk displaying something like the flag that might cause backlash or limit customers.

...In similar news, I believe most of the businesses who put up the rainbow stickers to welcome the softball players (and their business) have since removed them. Use the comments if you have seen them up still anywhere.

Please show your support to supportive businesses like Napa Billiards with your kinds words and your business. Also, I know Napa Billiards reads the blog, so share your support, suggestions and feedback in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I am still going to visit the place. It's fun

    ReplyDelete