Your Ad Here

Friday, May 9, 2008

Anatomy of a gay kiss

Just getting home from running errands last night, I stepped into the living room to find my roommate seated comfortably on the coach in front of the TV, Haagen Daz in one hand and a nice cool glass of wine on the table next to her. (She def. knows how to treat herself!)

Her usual love for reality TV doesn't interest me too much (although I confess I usually pause to take in the madness), but that night she had her other favorite show on, Grey's Anatomy. The scene flickering by caught my eye for more than a moment...

A (very handsome) soldier was in the hospital, being visited by his (very handsome and gay) boyfriend who was about to be deployed.

And the kiss they shared was so natural, so loving and so sweet (reminded me of when I see my man after I haven't for a couple days) that I hope America was watching for a couple reasons. The Grey's scene showed very well that: 1. gay love is as real as straight (same feeling, different gender) and 2. how shitty Don't Ask, Don't Tell is (and how it's much more complicated than "I don't want a gay man checking me out in the barracks"). Interestingly enough, they didn't touch on visitation rights (or, more accurately, lack of) for gay couples. At the very least I hope it gets people talking and that it breaks down people's objections a little bit more.

It also was picked up pretty quick by the gay blog world and posted on YouTube. Enjoy:
[Note: Previous Youtube clip was removed, new clip should work.]

2 comments:

  1. More on hospital visitation policies: http://www.hrc.org/issues/9814.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite gay couple on television right now: Kevin and Scotty of Brother and Sisters. I just love how they're relationship has developed. Plus, Scotty is sooooo adorable. =)

    ReplyDelete