Your Ad Here

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Obama mentions gay rights in historic speech: More than a token nod?



I'm wondering how you all feel about Obama's shout out to his "gay and lesbian brothers and sisters", mixed in among other issues that usually divide this country (like abortion, immigration, etc.):
"I know we have our differences on same sex marriage, but surely we can agree that our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters deserve to visit the person they love in the hospital and to live lives free of discrimination."
I was definitely anticipating a great speech. In the end, I'm not sure how I feel, although I think in general it was well done. I did get chills at times and really sensed his honesty and passion. And then towards the end, he mentions the gays: At first I was surprised and excited (OMG, he mentioned us gays!) and then realized it was just a brief mention. Then I appreciated the nod, but wished for more substance than a one-liner. I guess, too, that only after he's elected will we really know if we were just a token nod in tonight's historic speech.

Your thought's on Obama's mention of us gays (and lesbians)?

More: text of the speech | video

3 comments:

  1. The speech was pretty good, but not as exciting as I had hoped. As for his very-brief mention of gays and lesbians -- come on, hospital visitation? Aren't we way past that? I'd have hoped to have heard him say something about "all families being treated with equality and respect."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not completely convinced about his true conviction towards lesbian/gay rights, I feel he knows mentioning a 'one liner' about freedom from discrimination is worth some votes. He practically choked out the words when he began speeking about 'our' g/l brothers and sisters'. We'll have to punt and see because the other candidate isn't getting any votes here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over all, I think his speech was very good and inspiring and he seem to say everything we needed to hear. I am glad he mentioned our LGBT brothers and sisters though he could have said a little more about the issues we are facing now. Anyway, I'm ready for a change =)

    ReplyDelete